Saturday 20 January 2018

A Tribute to Norma de Bidaph


As 2017 drew to a close I heard the very sad news that Norma de Bidaph lost her battle with bowel cancer. I'd come into contact with Norma after she bought my first fundraising book, Beating Bowel Cancer. She was always extremely supportive to me during Mum's illness, and I was delighted when she agreed to be part of the Lives & Times charity book. I spent a wonderful day at the Thruxton Circuit in 2014 with Norma, and the Gearlink Kawasaki motorbike team, which she ran with her husband Michael. 

Like many, who battled with cancer, Norma didn't consider herself brave, but just having to face the illness head on. I found her truly inspirational, and the affection she was held in by everyone associated with the sport was shown time and time again during the day. She was absolutely lovely, and looked after me very well in spite of being on the go non-stop all day. We remained in touch, and Norma had always given me an open invitation to the racing. Sadly, in recent times with losing Mum to bowel cancer, and then the losing the dog to lymphoma, I hadn't managed to go back. We'd been in touch just a few months ago, and I was hoping to see Norma during the forthcoming season. My thoughts are with her family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment