Sunday 7 January 2018

A Picture of Mum with the Lives & Times Bowel Cancer Fundraising Book


A cruel twist of fate meant that Mum had her first brain seizure on the same day that I published the Lives & Times book in November 2015. The bowel cancer which had continuously affected her left lung over four years, spread to her brain, and so began the final stages of her illness over the next nine months until she sadly passed away in August 2016. I was so glad that Mum got to see, and enjoy, the finished book - without doubt the book is one of my proudest achievements. I always asked people to send me a photo of themselves with the book, but Mum was a bit reluctant. One of the side effects from the brain seizures was a slight drop to one side in her face, which understandably meant she didn't really enjoy having photos taken. However, with some creative help from my niece Anna, we took this photo from behind with the two of them reading the chapter in the book about Mum. It is the only photo I have of Mum with the book.

The book has now raised over £3450, and hopefully with the "Stop Bowel Cancer" t-shirts I have just started selling, the fundraising will soon pass £3500. The new fundraising book I am putting together is over halfway completed now, so I am hoping to have that finished within the next 12 months or so. Please continue to support my fundraising, and a massive thank you to everyone who has supported me so far, with an extra special thanks for those extra lovely people who have already ordered a t-shirt. All proceeds raised are donated to Beating Bowel Cancer / Bowel Cancer UK, who have joined together to become the UK's leading bowel cancer charity.

Bowel cancer is the second highest cancer killer in the UK, claiming 16,000 lives each year. However, if caught early, it can be successfully treated in over 90% of cases. So increasing awareness about this awful disease is key, hence the t-shirt idea. It is also vital to improve early detection rates, as that is what will really help help to save lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment