Thursday 29 December 2016

MP Nadine Dorries part of the Lives & Times bowel cancer charity book


When I began writing Lives & Times I tried contacting a few of the local politicians in Berkshire where I live. I was somewhat disappointed when I didn't get one single reply, and this included my own Reading East MP Rob Wilson and my Mum's Maidenhead MP none other than Theresa May... So I gave up on the idea of including MPs in the book. However this was to change when I came into contact with Nadine Dorries, the Conservative Member of Parliament for Mid Bedfordshire. Through an exchange of messages on Twitter I found out that she had bought my first book Beating Bowel Cancer. With nothing to lose I asked Nadine if she would be in the new book and I was delighted when she agreed. Nadine had in fact lost a close friend to bowel cancer, so she was keen to support the book project.

The chapter in the book describes exactly what happened. It was an amazing experience that was very typical of many in the book. I thought that Nadine would meet me at her constituency office, but instead I was invited up to the Houses of Parliament and I met her on outside terrace that overlooks the River Thames. Over the course of an hour I went through tunnels under Parliament Square, had tea with Nadine and ended up being given a grilling by an armed police officer. It's all in the book!

Nadine is of course also a very successful author in her own right. I look on in envy at her wonderfully high rankings on the Amazon best sellers list, and I can only dream for such success. It would be nice to borrow just a few of her avid readers for Lives & Times. Her support throughout has been brilliant and it was fantastic meeting Nadine.

My mother was diagnosed with bowel cancer in 2012 ans in spite of successful surgery to remove the tumour she went on to suffer from secondary cancer from the bowel in her lungs and brain. She went through a number of operations and endured each treatment without complaint. She fought with courage and great dignity for 4 years, but sadly she finally lost her battle with bowel cancer on August 29th. I am carrying on with my fundraising and raising bowel cancer awareness.

Please support the book. To see how you can buy a copy click here. ALL proceeds raised are donated to the Beating Bowel Cancer charity.

No comments:

Post a Comment