Sunday 30 October 2016

My Mum Loses Her Long Battle With Bowel Cancer


Two months ago on Monday August 29th my wonderful, brave and courageous Mum lost her long battle with bowel cancer. She died peacefully and I was at her bedside with my brother and sister as she passed away. She was aged 80 years and 7 days having celebrated her 80th birthday the week before.

For the last few weeks of her life she had been living at the St Marks Nursing Home in Maidenhead on an NHS Continuous Care end of life path package. I cannot emphasise enough how brilliant the staff were there, ensuring that Mum's last few weeks were happy ones and that she didn't suffer. I take great comfort that she is now at peace and is with my Dad.

Her positive attitude towards her four and a half year fight with bowel cancer was truly inspirational and she lived her life to the absolute maximum. Even towards the end when her health was failing she would go down to the garden each evening in her wheelchair and enjoy a glass of wine. She was an absolute rock for the family and we will miss her terribly. 

The funeral was on 21st September at St John the Evangelist Church, Littlewick Green, Maidenhead. Mum specified that the dress code should be bright colours. The church was full and as terribly sad as it was to say goodbye to her, it was a fitting celebration of her wonderful life. Thank you to everyone who came paying their respects and supporting myself, Noel and Ali.

I will be continuing to fund raise for the Beating Bowel Cancer charity and raise awareness about bowel cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment