Monday 30 May 2016

Lives & Times Connecting Mike Read & Dave Fenton


I made the short journey from work to BBC Radio Berkshire on a crisp winter's afternoon in early 2015, and I spent a highly entertaining and fascinating half an hour photographing and chatting to ex Radio 1 DJ Mike Read, of course not forgetting his Saturday Superstore show too :) At the time he was hosting the afternoon show at the station.

This was a great chapter for me to write as his evening show on Radio 1 all those years ago was something I always listened to while doing my homework. The chapter in the Lives & Times bowel cancer charity book features the small confession I made to him about an incident over 30 years ago when I told a little white lie that revolved around Mike and Dave Fenton, who was the lead singer in The Vapors back in 1980s.

In fact after meeeting Mike I successfully contacted Dave Fenton, now a music lawyer at The Musicians Union, and just a few days later I travelled up to meet him in London. It was great talking to Dave about The Vapors, who recorded so many great songs including the massive hit single Turning Japanese, and we took the photo for the book with Big Ben in the background. Any fan of The Vapors will understand why. Since I published the book I was very sad to hear that Dave sadly lost his brother to cancer a few months ago.


My mother's battle with bowel cancer continues. One of the secondary cancerous lesions on her brain appears to increased in size recently and will most likely require further treatment. It's been a difficult 6 months for her having also had surgery to remove the lower lob of left lung. She has her next appointment on June 10th.

Please support this fundraising book and at the same help raise awareness about the 2nd highest cancer killer in the UK, and yet one of most treatable cancers of caught early.



No comments:

Post a Comment