Sunday 23 April 2017

Sir Steve Redgrave Supporting Beating Bowel Cancer Charity Book


I had the pleasure of meeting and photographing Sir Steve Redgrave for the Lives & Times charity book in the summer of 2014 on the banks of the River Thames in his home town of Marlow. This was a big moment in the book's development as sporting celebrities don't come any bigger than the man who won rowing gold at 5 consecutive Olympics.

In the chapter in the book I spoke to Steve about the local rowing clubs and the names we shared, as my father was a life long rowing man. We ended up talking for about half an hour and it was a brilliant experience for me, which hopefully comes across in the book. I got a great photo of him standing next to his own statue in Higginson Park.

Steve sent me this photo with his copy of the book. To see how you can buy a copy of the book click here. The book and the recent silk screen print have so far raised over £3250 for Beating Bowel Cancer.

My mother passed away in August 2016 after a 4 year battle with bowel cancer. Throughout she fought bravely and with great dignity. Bowel cancer claims 16,000 lives each year, but if detected early it is very treatable in over 90% of cases. Raising bowel cancer awareness is key, and hopefully the book is helping to do this, as well as raising funds for the charity.

No comments:

Post a Comment