Tuesday 29 December 2015

Lives & Times Bowel Cancer Book Featured in Maidenhead United Match Day Programme


In the Lives & Times book I did a kind of then and now chapter on Maidenhead United, which is my home town club. My grandfather, Jack Darvell, was associated with the club during the 1930/40s and so I combined that era with meeting up with last season's manager Drax Hippolyte to create one of the more personal chapters in the book.



The club, or more specifically Steve Jinman, put together this great article on the book which was included in the match day programme for the game against Hemel Hempstead on December 28th, on page 18 to be exact. I went along to the game with my brother and met up with Steve. The game ended up in a 3-2 home defeat for Maidenhead. They looked down and out being 3-0 down at half time, but pulled the score back to 3-2 and then missed a last minute penalty! It was certainly entertaining.

The support for the book since publication has been terrific with over £650 raised so far and articles like this are a great way of spreading the message about the book. I should add that, apart from Steve's help, the chapter in the book would not have been possible to write without the invaluable help of the club's historian Mark Smith, who I also met up with during half time.

To see how you can buy a copy of the book click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment