Sunday 8 November 2015

Bruce Foxton & From The Jam Support the Bowel Cancer Fundraising Book



To read about the Lives & Times fundraising book for Beating Bowel Cancer click here.


Towards the end of 2014 I photographed Bruce Foxton & From The Jam at SUB 89 in Reading. This was not a normal concert photo as the band very kindly allowed me into the press pit. Normally there is a 3 song rule, where you spend the first 3 songs of the set photographing the band before being kicked out. However on this occasion I was allowed to stay there for the whole gig allowing me to photograph away to my heart's content. It also meant I was able to watch the concert from in front of the front row and for a fan of the music of The Jam this was a real treat.

The Jam played a massive part in shaping my musical tastes as I was growing up. I saw them on their farewell tour at Wembley in 1982, which is now scarily 33 years ago. My one regret with The Jam was not being allowed to go and see them play at the Bracknell Leisure Centre in 1980. I was deemed too young by the folks. Can you believe tickets were selling at £2.50 at, Opus One, the local record shop.

During the course of this book I have repeatedly tried to get Paul Weller to come on board, but all my attempts to contact him ended in failure. So if do another book I shall keep trying... I did manage to make contact with the Facebook page of Rick Buckler, the drummer in The Jam, but I didn't get an answer either way from Rick. Unfortunately this happened quite recently and I finally had to draw a line under everything. Once again another possible target if I do another book. However one out of three wasn't a bad return.

I am going to see From The Jam play the Sound Effects album in Reading next weekend, this time minus my camera and as part of the audience proper. I am looking forward to it very much.

The current plan is for the Lives & Times book to be published on November 27th.

No comments:

Post a Comment