Monday 9 November 2015

Maidenhead United Football Club On Board The Bowel Cancer Fundraising Book


To read about the Lives & Times fundraising book for Beating Bowel Cancer click here.

I thought that the chapter on Maidenhead United and my family's association with the club might be quite newsworthy certainly on the local news front once the book is published. This will still hopefully be the case, but like many Maidenhead United fans I was delighted with their dramatic 1-1 draw at Port Vale in the first round of the FA Cup, which sets up a replay at York Road. Take a look at the Magpies injury time equalizer here.

I saw my first Maidenhead game in 8 years last season, and met up with their then manager Drax Hippolyte, who very kindly agreed to appear in the book. This is my hometown club, and where I would have seen my first game of football in the 1970s with my dad and brother. It was quite an entertaining game against Farnborough in the FA Trophy 2 round ending in a 2-2 draw. It was quite nostalgic for me going back the ground where really everything football all began for me.

It was quite nostalgic seeing the ground, which although has undergone some changes over the years still maintains many of the features that were there when I first went over 40 years ago. One thing I won't be putting in the book is the same outside male toilet in one corner of the ground is still there. It seems to have undergone a minor face-lift, and these does does have a roof, but it's essentially still the same "smelly" WC it was back then.

This chapter will be one of the more fascinating chapters for me to write, as alongside the the photo from the present day there is a strong family connection with the club as my granddad was on the club's committee during the 2nd World War.

No comments:

Post a Comment